Domestic abuse support

Pattern circle

Domestic abuse, or domestic violence, is defined as any incident of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality.

Coronavirus (COVID 19)

There's a dedicated page to support victims of domestic abuse during the coronavirus pandemic on the GOV.UK website

Safe spaces

During COVID-19, if you are experiencing domestic abuse, we understand that home is not safe. UK SAYS NO MORE is working with with Boots UK, Superdrug Pharmacies and independent pharmacies that have signed up to the Safe Spaces scheme, to facilitate their pharmacy consultancy rooms as a Safe Space for victims of domestic abuse during COVID-19. Find out more.

What are the types of abuse?

Domestic abuse covers a range of types of abuse, including, but not limited to:

  • Psychological
  • Physical
  • Sexual
  • Financial
  • Emotional abuse
  • Coercive control

Clare’s law

You can request disclosure in certain circumstances under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS) or Clare’s law.

In an emergency

Please call the police on 999.

In danger, need the police, but can't speak?

  • Dial 999
  • Listen to the questions from the operator
  • Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can
  • If prompted, press 55 (this let's them know that it's a genuine emergency and you'll be put through to the police). 

How we can help

If you’re experiencing domestic abuse, get in touch with us. We can explore home security improvements, as well as offering basic housing advice – and we can signpost you to further support where necessary, including referrals to other specialist agencies who can arrange for emergency accommodation.

We’ll handle all information confidentially and sensitively, and agree a communication plan with you, so we only speak when it’s safe to do so.

Housing advice

Emergency accommodation: If you're facing a serious threat of violence and are fearful of returning to your home, contact Bucks County Council who have a statutory responsibility to consider homeless applications.

Ending a tenancy: Whilst we do not encourage this, we would strongly recommend you seek independent legal advice from a solicitor or local citizens advice bureau before doing so.

Priority move application: In case of domestic abuse where there is serious risk of physical and or serious risk of mental harm, the case owner may consider submitting a priority move application to our Housing Adaptations and lettings panel for consideration subject to:

  • The criteria for the priority move being met
  • Supporting evidence being provided by partner agencies such as the police and other support agencies
  • Other housing options may also apply, such as registering on Bucks Home Choice mutual exchange (Subject to the criteria being met)

For additional housing or emergency accommodation support please contact Buckinghamshire Council:

Support groups

National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline 

This helpline is run in partnership by Refuge and Women’s Aid and is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 

Call: 0808 2000 247

Website: National Domestic Violence Helpline

Victim Support 

If you’ve been affected by crime, they can give you the support you need to move forward. Their services are free, confidential and available to anyone in England and Wales, regardless of whether the crime has been reported or how long ago it happened. Choose from a number of ways to contact them.

Call: 0808 1689 111

Website: Victim Support

Women's Aid

Freephone 24 hr National Domestic Violence Helpline run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge.

Call: 0808 2000 247

Website: Women's Aid


Providing support in 21 refuges across 10 London boroughs

Website: HESTIA

Men's Advice Line

Advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. 

Call: 0808 801 0327

Website: Men's Advice Line


Information and advice for children and young people. Whatever your worry, they're there for you. 

Call: 0800 11 11

Website: Childline

Forced Marriage Unit 

Contact the Forced Marriage Unit if you’re trying to stop a forced marriage or you need help leaving a marriage you’ve been forced into.

Call: 020 7008 0151

Website: Forced marriage information on GOV.UK


Are you hurting someone that you love? Choose to stop.

Call: 0808 802 4040

Website: Respect


A national charity for women and children experiencing domestic violence.

Call: 0808 2000 247

Website: Refuge

Rights of Women

Free support and legal advice for female victims. 

Website: Rights of Women

Rape Crisis Line

Free support and legal advice for female victims. 

Call: 0808 802 9999

Website: Rape Crisis 

The Men’s Advice Line

Free support for male victims of domestic abuse 

Call: 0808 801 0327

National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline

Call: 0800 999 5428


The National LGBT domestic violence helpline

Call: 020 7704 2040

Female Genital Mutilation Helpline

Operating 24/7, staffed by specially trained members of the public and professionals

Call: 0800 028 2550


UK Sign language service to help deaf women and children who are victims of domestic abuse

Call: 020 3947 2600

National Stalking Helpline

Call: 0808 802 0300
Website: National Stalking Helpline